Monday, August 30, 2004

So you wanna be an actor?

Teaching drama has always been a challenge. See, I've never actually taken a drama class. I was one of the "smart kids" who devoted endless hours in high school making fun of the "drama kids." And seriously, they were sort of lame. "Come see my play!!!" and "Listen to my monologue!!!" My reply was always something in the neighborhood of "Can you leave me alone while I do my Calculus/Physics/Something else really hard homework?"

However, now that I get to see things from the other angle in the classroom, drama is an awakening. My shy kids who struggle with fear and nervousness every single day (even though they know that every single day they will be expected to come to the front for one activity or another). My hyperactive kids who jump up into other people's scenes because they can't possibly sit in their seats and let something uninspired take place in the front of the room.

And now that year three is underway, and I'm something close to being organized every day, I'm beginning to realize that I have some students who are truly brilliant. They could have long, difficult careers at mid-tier college theater programs. They could do commercials. They could certainly do stand-up comedy.

The best part is always hearing the classroom get completely quiet before one of them begins to act. The sort of quiet that can only be brought on by sincere anticipation and awe. They know what they are witnessing. Every once in a while they look over at me while brilliant acting is taking place to make sure I know, too.

So to you, my actors, I hope I'm a good enough teacher to show you that you have something special, something that can work for you in the future.

Heather at 8:18 PM

0comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment