Friday, May 14, 2004

Once

I had a best friend once who would invite me to her house. Her dad would make peanut butter milkshakes for us, and we'd play dress up and dance in the rec room and watch Dirty Dancing late at night so we could see Patrick Swazye's butt. Then one day, we were in different classes, and I turned into the loud girl who couldn't help but always speak her mind, the girl who didn't have many friends, the girl that didn't get invited over anymore. The girl that wasn't cool.

I had a best friend once whom I cared for with all my heart. He taught me how to love so hard that it made me scared and vulnerable and real. With him I learned how hot the phone can get after hours of nonstop use. With him I learned how to have a quality screaming match, how to sneak away from home without my parents really knowing where I was going, how to be the other woman. Then one day, I found out he was telling my secrets to the latest flavor of the month. And after that he was gone.

I had a best friend once who helped me become a better listener, a girly girl, an adult. She let me remember that little things matter. Listening carefully to a song, perfect eyeliner, exboyfriends. We thought that being polar opposites on half of the world, and like-minded bitches on the other half would make us the perfect pair. And we were, briefly, until we realized that we argue too much and we live too far away. Then there was drifting.

I had a best friend once who swore he knew what being a best friend was about. He popped up in the middle of a classic, gray, nobody-gets-me phase. I ditched a boyfriend, told my secrets, shared my bed. Then one day, he met a girl, and I turned into the loud girl who couldn't help but always speak her mind, the girl who didn't have many friends, the girl that didn't get invited over anymore. The girl that wasn't cool.

Heather at 8:12 PM

2comments

2 Comments

at 12:05 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love this template. blogger won't let me sign in to leave comments today. amber

 
at 10:12 AM Blogger tequila mockingbird said...

this is a terrific post. it reminded me of people i've known and people i've been.

excellent.

 

Post a Comment