Wednesday, March 17, 2004

200 Word Wednesday: The Triumphant Return

A Life in Not So Carefully Made Decisions

I have been good at plotting, usually in front of your face
And so much of it goes back to one bright-blonde-headed girl
Who taught me at fourteen that resume building was
Of primo-importance. I took her at her word.

And now I have the following to show for it:
Many, many depressing CDs
Seven pairs of Old Navy flip-flops
A book collection that will not survive another move
Forty-seven names in my cell phone
(Thirty-eight of whom have yet to reach a two year anniversary)
A four-door sedan
Unpaid bills
Late notices from the library and a book club
A desk piled high with blank job applications,
empty yogurt containers, soda cans, long wilted paperwhites
Frizzy hair, cracked heels, eight hangnails, dirty clothes
Dark circles, mild psychotic disorders, anxiety, hair twirling
The thought that I did all of this to be different
to avoid the normal, the babies, the husbands,
the cell phones, the four-door sedans.

Now she is getting married. She is in law school.
She has no idea I am writing this. She probably got
The better deal.
The boy.
The student loans.
The life that is easy to explain
That still looks good on paper.

Heather at 8:22 PM

0comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment