Friday, December 12, 2003

You see, I have this friend.

There's this woman I know, and she's totally amazing.

The first time I met her, I hated her. (Always the mark of impending true friendship.) She was beautiful and smart. She had a boyfriend. She had it together. She was a cooler version of me, if only I knew how to apply makeup or be skinny. And that first summer we were together, she helped me learn things about myself that I could have never discovered on my own. It is solely because of here that I know I can:
a. Drink myself silly and not feel guilty about it.
b. Dress to "go out".
c. Have the insight to occasionally match my shoes with my outfit.
d. Not be afraid of things just because I've never done them before.

And in a little more than a year and a half, she's helped me through more than she realizes. Without her, I would have never come to terms with my brother and his new baby, a million and one boy disasters, and several bouts of homesickness.

She was with me when I puked on my own bed. She was with me when I somewhat mistakenly semi-hooked up with someone I barely knew (twice). She was with me when I knew for certain that I'd fallen in love with no other than her own boyfriend. And when I say "with me," I don't mean present. She was with me, by my side, helping me deal with the shit I constantly create in my life, and all the while convincing me that the shit of my life is actually interesting, entertaining, and worthwhile.

We even have our own sorority, the details of which I could never reveal here under penalty of death, but that in itself reminds me of how much of a sister she is to me. Well, that, and the constant fighting and the ridiculous moments that only sisters can truly share and appreciate, like the first cigarette of the morning on the porch or checking an ingrown hair to make sure it isn't herpes.

And, you see, she has to go to the hospital for a while. And I can't be there because I have work and the holidays and a million other excuses that don't add up to much more than the fact that I can't seem to find a way to be the one place I know I should be in the next couple of weeks.

The best I could do was a lame blog tribute,
to tell her that I'm thinking of her, and that EVERY morning for the next month, I plan to wake up and do "the cheer" in her honor.

Heather at 5:51 PM

0comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment