Wednesday, March 19, 2003

"Twenty-five million people watched the show last night and only two of them are in Simmons High School right now!"
--Me, sharing my disgust with 5th period, as Whitney and I discussed American Idol
I'm wondering if I can still write off my pop culture and reality TV obsession as anthropological research, since I already have my degree and I'm drudging along in the work-a-day world. And the possibility always exists that my claims of "anthropological research" were just lame excuses to make my over-consumption of The Real World socially acceptable. And so, as Lizzie did last night, I'm attempting to squeeze in a post before American Idol comes on tonight (hopefully to reveal that crappy Julia/Carmen/Corey has been voted off).

-->American Idol Content<---
Sure, Julia sucks. We all agree on that. (even though I found myself dancing and singing the FlashDance song for quite a while last night.) But why is it that America hasn't seemed to notice that both Carmen and Corey couldn't sing their way out of a karaoke bar full of drunken senior citizens? The middle-of-the-road people are fine with me. I'll let them stick around for a few more weeks. Charles, the Kimberleys, etc are welcome to stay around for awhile. They don't make me want to commit musical suicide the way the triumvirate of suckage does. And as for the top of the heap; there will definitely be a two tier system: The really good vs. The really FUCKING good. In my humble opinion, there are only three that belong in the highest echelon of American Idol cool: Ruben, Trenyce and Josh. And to everyone else, cute little Ricky included, good luck with your guest spots on Boston Public. You can only dream of being as cool as these three.

-->Non-American Idol Content<--
Spring has arrived in the Delta, carried in by a ridiculously gusty wind that nearly blew my car off the road a few times this afternoon. The fields have turned orange and yellow. I don't know enough about the Delta to explain why they aren't the standard issue spring green, but the explosion of color is enough to keep me occupied on my ridiculously long drive to work, so I'm happy. The warm snap hasn't escalated into Spring Fever yet with my students. Nearly all of them can still remain seated for class, with the exception of all of 7th period, but they were never really that well behaved to begin with. I've taken to wearing shorts and ratty t-shirts in the afternoons while I sit on my front porch and attempt to paint the $5 rocking chair that I rescued from an estate sale (after which my dad kindly toted it down the street). It's starting to look folky and almost beautiful, and to know that it's entirely my creation, inspired by a few sun-drenched afternoons, makes me look forward to sitting in it for years to come.

Heather at 4:46 PM

0comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment